Sunday, April 22, 2012

New Zealand Road Trip / South Island / Day 1 : Going West

Thursday 5th April, 2012

Christchurch to Hokitika via Arthur's Pass

State Highway 73; 246 km


The day started early today. Right at 8 o’clock, we left the hotel to pick up the camper van at Jucy Rentals. This is going to be our accommodation for the next one week. We had our first look at our mobile home. Nothing fancy, but as what printed on the side of the van said, I think we’ll be alright. The shower cubicle was small, but it was conveniently placed behind the driver’s seat. There was also a cooker, gas, and a sink. Underneath the cooker, luxury! We had a fridge. The living area at the back, where we will also sleep, wasn’t looking so convincing. But after the guy showed us how to set up the beds and where the blankets and pillows were, I think I will be alright. After filling up the fridge with milk, cheese, bread, fruits and some bottles of water, we hit the road.

From the research I made in the internet, the normal driving time from Christchurch to Hokitika would take about four hours. At this point, I somehow left out the fact that we were actually going on a road trip on a holiday in one of the most breathtaking destinations in the world. I did read some articles and information about the places of interest along the way. The problem was, I didn't put into consideration the time that we would be taking visiting and exploring these places. So anyway, I will state it from this very beginning, that our timing were always wrong.

I wanted to take as much pictures as I could. Very soon I found myself clicking the camera every 2 or 3 minutes. Every where I looked was so beautiful. Looking back at the pictures afterward, I only wish I had the talent in photography. I also wish I had the time ...


Not long after leaving the hustle and bustle of the city, the above picture was what would become the common view for the rest of the journey. Grassy land, rivers and creeks with mountains in the background - they are everywhere. But we wanted to see more, so off we go.

After the leisurely drive for a couple of hours, we arrived at Castle Hill. If you are a lover of rock climbing, or bouldering, this is a place for you. The hill was named as such because of the imposing array of limestone outcrops in the area reminiscent of an old run-down stone castle. You may have seen the similarity of this area to the scenes in the movies Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.


At around noon, we were about to cross over to the West Coast. For that, we came across one of the most breathtaking drives in our journey. I took a couple of pictures in this area for this blog, but I will say it here, these pictures doesn't do justice to the beautiful Arthur's Pass.



Lunch was a quick bite of cheese sandwich and then we were back on the road. After reaching the highest point of the road crossing the Southern Alps, we started descending and at about 3pm, we had our first glimpse of the Tasman Sea. We went straight to the camp site and since the sun was still up and bright, we decided to take a walk around the quiet town of Hokitika. It's off season so it was quiet. After the long day on the road, even though it was filled with beautiful sceneries, the quiet calm of this beach town was very welcoming and relaxing. 

Hokitika may be a busy thriving port during the 1860s gold rush, but today the colour of choice is green, for this is the home for New Zealand's finest pounamu or jade. And while visiting one of the shops selling this beautiful stone, I couldn't resist the temptation. It's a bit pricey, but I never know when will I be back. So I got myself a little souvenir.


And after the recommendation from the lady who sold me the bracelet, we made our way to Stumpers Cafe & Bar for dinner. I had a nice steak (still couldn't really got myself completely into the camping mode). It was nice, the food and the atmosphere so the break from cooking was very much needed then.


With the last ray of the sun still a little bit warm, I ended the day enjoying the beach just a minute walk from our camping site. It was a very pleasant day to say the least. I could not find all the right words to describe the day, but I know I had a tremendous experience. It was only our first day, but the way it went, I was looking forward to seeing more of the South Island. 

Tomorrow, the plan was to drive to Cromwell, and looking at the map and what I have read about this part of the road, I couldn't wait to get back on the road. But first, I needed to brace myself and tried to get some sleep. It would be the first time sleeping in a small van. I might be mad, but I think this shouldn't really be a reason to freak out. After all, when you are in New Zealand, the least you could do is to be a little adventurous. 


No comments: